Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sugar, my love for you is complicated.

Youth Leader Donte Here ^_^

I've been watching my little sisters all week they've been draining me but I still was able to make it to the second week of CRAVE's Food Justice Film Series featuring the documentary, The Price of Sugar.  Even though I was caught falling asleep from the exhaustion of watching my two sweet and sugar-filled sisters, I managed to catch a good 85 percent of this powerful and inspiring film.

The film was about Haitians who were told that they could live a better life in the Dominican Republic working in the sugar cane fields.  Little did they know that they would be under slave conditions, not having food, fresh water and basically having to eat excess sugar cane they crop, still leaving them malnourished.  Seeing how these people's lives and livelihoods suffer to keep sugar on our tables, in our drinks, in our "snacks" and use in a lot of different things was definitely something that made me think about how much sugar I purchase, use and take for granted.

The documentary shows activist priest Christopher Heartly doing everything in his power to get equal rights for Haitian people living in these harsh conditions.  After the film we shared first reactions and learnings and talked about things we can do, now that we know what we know:
  • talk about the film and share your learning.
  • cut sugar from your diet and purchases entirely
  • use natural sugar substitutes like honey, agave nectar, stevia, etc...
  • when purchasing sugar, purchase it in bulk from local coops
This film made me want to just do something.  No only was the Haitians suffering intolerable and horrible to just witness much less experience, but the priest's determination gives me inspiration.
I feel glad that I am a part of a food justice movement and that I am starting to make a difference with a group of fantastic people!  I want to make a difference in many ways not just with CRAVE but with everything I do!  I want to help other people make a difference in their movements!  I just want to help.

The Price of Sugar has inspired me to write a poem about sugar.  I will be performing it at the CRAVE CommUNITY Art JAMMMMMmmm coming up on the Saturday, July 16h at WAPI on Rainier and Hudson in Columbia City from 7-11pm featuring healthy food, art, and commUNITY indeed.

Also there will be another food justice film featuring Meat the Truth next Friday, July 15th from 7-9pm at Hillside Quickies in the U.District.


Me and some other CRAVE youth leaders will see you tonight at Skills Defined from 6-9 at Washington Hall where we'll be supporting our community partner (WAPI) and watching some breaking and spreading the word about the beautiful art and work that we are doing in our community!

Thanks for tuning in!  Stay tuned for more and please donate now to support our awesome work!

Any questions? email us at cravejusticemedia@gmail.com
Or hit up our PayPal! 


1 comment:

  1. it is an absolute honor to know you, donte!!! a true pleasure to be building w/you!! you know those chills that i told you about that i experienced whilst watching keny arkana's "la rage" video--well, i felt those same chills reading your words!!!

    ReplyDelete